DECEMBER - IS IT A BAD TIME TO SELL?
- Written by Melanie Toye, December 6, 2013
December is now among us. Holidays and contemplation lead to many decisions. One major decision is, should I put my house on the market this month?
It is a valid question because many people are focussing on Christmas preparations and holiday getaways, who is left to go house hunting?
The above needs to be considered before you list your market for sale. As well as the concept of, can you wait till January to put up your property? And have you already found a property you want to move into?
The December period does have a lesser amount of properties to showcase. Yet this could give you a better selling point because lesser properties are on the market and in turn there is a select few for buyers (possibly desperate buyers) to choose from.
Chat to your local real estate agent. Find out how many properties they sold the previous month and their average turnaround time to sell a property. I know one real estate agent who can sell any property within a month and sometimes in a matter of days. Others who are not driving the local industry can take nine weeks or more. Just because it may be a dry period, it does not mean the experts cannot find you a buyer.
As it is in the summer period and if you will nto be gone for long - when someone comes to inspect the property - why not leave the air conditioning on, or open a window to show off the cool breeze? If someone wants to inspect the property while you are hosting a party, invite them in. They will get a great vibe from the property and with the food displayed and people entertaining, they will get a taste of what their life will be when they move in.
Perhaps Santa might even give you the best Christmas of all.
And if you do not sell in December, do not despair, you could very well sell in January, as the real estate market heats up for another year.
- Buying property in a natural disaster area
- Renovate to the value of the market
- Why you shouldn't wait to get into the property market
- Property Investment Choices
- Before you go property shopping, read this
- Three things to consider before upsizing your property
- How much would you spend on an investment property?
- Holiday home investments - is it worth it?
- Passive income for now and the future
- Let The Block be your guide on how buy & sell works
- Decisions, decisions. Fixed or variable?
- Off the plan property purchases
- 2014 - The year of property
- Customer service is our focus
- Buying to renovate and sell
- Another way to look at property
- Manage your own rental property
- December - Is it a bad time to sell?
- Sick of renting?
- Difference between a bigger property vs a smaller one
- 30 Days of Packing during Christmas
- What I learned from buying my first property
- The right time to sell
- The risk going guarantor
- How do you dream big when on a budget?
- First home or first investment?
- Got equity?
- Buying your last home
- Property purchases based on climate change
- The renovators dream
- Auctions are a winner
- Planning for your financial future
- Cheaper to buy than rent
- Pay off your mortgage sooner
- The Effects of Having Low Interest Rates
- Planning for the future
- Looking to Invest in Property?
- How to Choose a Mortgage Broker
- First Time Mortgage Borrowers
- Be 'In the Know' When Buying a Property
- Refinancing Your Mortgage to Build Your Financial Portfolio
- Borrowing in a Self Managed Super Fund
- Major Life Decisions
- Which State Wins the Popularity Race?
- How to Build a Portfolio of Multiple Properties
- Seeking Funds For Your Investment?
- Boost Your Home Value
- When Buying A Unit
- Take the Stress Out Of Buying Your Home With These Handy Tips
- Refinancing - The Smarter Way to Lower Your Home Loan Repayments
- How to Build A Good Deposit
- Lower Your Mortgage With These Simple Tips
- Big Decision - Overseas Travel or Buy Your First Home?
- Buying Off the Plan
- Saving For A Deposit